Sunday, January 27, 2013

Two weeks of burgers in review





I started with a place with burger in its own name at Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lombard. They have a choice of thirteen custom burger choices but for this review I picked the old stable of a bacon cheese burger and they had a bacon cheddar burger I was eyeing. The meat was tasty though a tad dry for my liking, but the bacon was nicely crisp. Its only real down fall is there choice of using tasteless shredded iceberg lettuce.



Next up I went to a place you might not think of when you want a burger but theirs are defiantly worth a look. Buffalo Wild Wings has many good choices for someone craving a beef patty, and I went with one of their new Juicy Steak Burgers. Although it’s not the bacon cheddar burger I was planning on getting, this one seemed to pop out at me the most. It is two slammer patties sandwiching some moist sliced steak and in the middle of that is a fried onion ring. With a topping of pepper jack cheese and some BBQ sauce, this is one juicy and damn good burger.



Now we go to a place I have loved since first bite, Five Guys. What I love about this place the entire burger is designed to suit your imagination. The quality of ingredients and price is unmatched. I went with a classic of mine, a bacon cheeseburger with mustard and onions. Only this trip I got two. Hey, with a place this good, one isn’t enough to satisfy you and your going to want seconds. As always, the bacon was crisp, the meat juicy, and the cheese melted to hold everything together.



Wow so many burgers in so little time, it is getting hard to keep going. I’ve started to get a salad every other day to offset the amount of meat I’ve been inhaling. I’m sure my body will thank me somehow.
When my taste for a good burger returned after my green vacation, I went to Red Robin. I got my normal order, a bacon cheeseburger. Sadly, this one wasn’t as great as ones I have had before. The meat was bland and the bacon limp. This was a disappointment considering I usually have very good burgers from them in the past but at least there pretzel bites were tasty.


You might ask why I haven’t gone to any fast food places so far, but don’t worry, I’ve that covered as well. Wendy’s has been flipping patties since 1969, and, out of all the fast food places that are out there, I think this is the best fast food place for a burger. They cook everything to order and their meat is advertised to never be frozen. Whether this makes for a better burger or not, I can’t tell. That’s what I have taste buds for and they are happy with what I received. What I ordered was a baconator, two patties with tons of bacon and cheese all over. You know the drill. Burger was defiantly good but their new sea salt fries are just plain bad.


Finally, I head over to Fuddruckers, home to what they claim is the world’s greatest hamburger. I haven’t been around the world but I do say they do make a mean burger. Fuddruckers is much the same as Five Guys, or should I say Five Guys is much the same to Fuddruckers. You eye the menu and then build your tasty treat from what ever ingredients you want. What is great about Fuddruckers is the fixing bar full of fresh veggies for you to pile on your burger… Wait did I just say veggies were a plus? I think eating this many burgers is getting to me. Again I made a bacon cheese burger with onions and a big leaf of romaine lettuce. Rarely have I had a bad burger here, and the trend continued with this burger. It was a perfect mix of juicy meat and tasty toppings.


Last and, yes, least, I went to the most popular fast food chain in America. I am talking about McDonald’s. I have been putting this off as long as I could, but sadly I can’t any longer. I’m going to have to sit down and just take a bite out of the golden arches. I didn’t always hate this place. I still go there every now and then for a drink or some fries, but over the years I just lost all interest in their burgers. To me, their patties are something out of a science lab. They are over salted and the meat seems to be barely held together by some kind of fatty glue. I got a double quarter pounder with cheese, as I suspected, it was a salty mess with a bizarre tower of pickles in the middle and a random spattering of onions. This is the burger that can ruin all other burgers for good, but I know the fix for this. A trip to Sweet Tomatoes for some veggie therapy is just the cure for what I suffered under those damn golden arches.

No comments:

Post a Comment